Lawyer Gloria James-Civetta & Co

Drain

Thanks for starting this thread!

Law Firm: Gloria James-Civetta & Co
Total Fees: $2.8k
Circumstance: Uncontested, 1 kid (Follow ex), and house (Bought over by me with topping up her CPF)
Monthly: 1k for 1 kid and $1 for her. Sole Custody/C&C
Experience: Found out about her affair. Engage PI, but couldn't proof much (As no sign of holding hand/kissing/going hotel). Submitted as unreasonable behaviour after confronting her. Engaged this particular law firm, and talked to ex on T&C. Signed and parted our ways.

jellybeans

Thanks for starting this thread!

Law Firm: Gloria James-Civetta & Co
Total Fees: $2.8k
Circumstance: Uncontested, 1 kid (Follow ex), and house (Bought over by me with topping up her CPF)
Monthly: 1k for 1 kid and $1 for her. Sole Custody/C&C
Experience: Found out about her affair. Engage PI, but couldn't proof much (As no sign of holding hand/kissing/going hotel). Submitted as unreasonable behaviour after confronting her. Engaged this particular law firm, and talked to ex on T&C. Signed and parted our ways.
how come she got the sole custody?
any review on law firm

voltra

Administrator
Staff member
Well, due to woman's chartered law, need to indicate a minimum amount, even though she doesn't want it.
Hence have to indicate $1
Oh is it? I had the understanding from my lawyer that it can be put to 0.but the wife's lawyer will always recommend put a min of $1 in case future she want to adjust.

Well as long as your ex wife is not out for that i guess should be ok.

Drain

Oh is it? I had the understanding from my lawyer that it can be put to 0.but the wife's lawyer will always recommend put a min of $1 in case future she want to adjust.

Serious? I dinoe can put to '0'. As my lawyer said min is $1
Anyway, let it be...

Well, due to woman's chartered law, need to indicate a minimum amount, even though she doesn't want it.
Hence have to indicate $1
I think ur lawyer smoke you.
$1 alimony is not a must.
It's whether the other party wants and how u negotiate.

vemod

I first hired a lawyer named Y from Gloria James-Civetta. She advised me to ask for 4 hour access to my son when I first moved out. This proved to be a terrible, terrible decision. I found it very hard to gain more access to him, and the counsellor at mediation seems to think increasing too much from 4 hours is not in the best interest of the child. I found GJC to be overpriced as well at almost $600/hour (including time spent sending emails). Please avoid this lawyer.

Flamel

I first hired a lawyer named Y from Gloria James-Civetta. She advised me to ask for 4 hour access to my son when I first moved out. This proved to be a terrible, terrible decision. I found it very hard to gain more access to him, and the counsellor at mediation seems to think increasing too much from 4 hours is not in the best interest of the child. I found GJC to be overpriced as well at almost $600/hour (including time spent sending emails). Please avoid this lawyer.
Did she give you a basis of recommendation of why 4 hours? Coz it seems very little. What was the reason she said?

vemod

This was her answer (verbatim):

"The reason we proposed on a “without prejudice” basis to your wife was because you had wanted unsupervised access and for a child as young as your son, a stretch of more than 4 hours may have been impractical. This was to cater for his nap time etc."

I'm at a loss now. Counsellor sided with my wife and she will recommend just 8 hours a week (5% of the time). Is this normal in Singapore or am I / my son being cheated?

"The reason we proposed on a “without prejudice” basis to your wife was because you had wanted unsupervised access and for a child as young as your son, a stretch of more than 4 hours may have been impractical. This was to cater for his nap time etc."

I'm at a loss now. Counsellor sided with my wife and she will recommend just 8 hours a week (5% of the time). Is this normal in Singapore or am I / my son being cheated?
How old is your son?

To me more than 8 hrs is fine as long as the nap time is catered for and followed through.

vemod

He's 2.5 years old. I mean 8 hours in total a week, spread over three days. I don't understand Singapore... In my home country, courts have had a bias towards 50/50 care for well over 30 years now. Other than not following GJC's advice, not sure what I could have done differently.

Flamel

Not sure if theres a standard for a 2.5 year old child.

Mine, I didnt ask for the lawyer's or counseller's advice, I asked for what I wanted. I didnt get all the time i asked for though.

My son was just 3 years old when i divorced, he stays over with me 2 nights a week and spends another separate one evening with me.

Have you tried to revise the access time? Ask for what you feel is reasonable and let the courts decide if it goes to that?

KenaWC

He's 2.5 years old. I mean 8 hours in total a week, spread over three days. I don't understand Singapore... In my home country, courts have had a bias towards 50/50 care for well over 30 years now. Other than not following GJC's advice, not sure what I could have done differently.
4 hours due to his sleeping time. He can make him sleep with you if he wants to sleep. Moreover he will grow up and no more short nap. Your lawyer should fight for you

vemod

Yes my son can certainly sleep at my place - he feels very comfortable there. The lawyer wasn't in the room when the counselor interviewed us at the FDR centre. Do you know what the impact will be of the counselor's 8-hour recommendation to the mediator? I feel like I'm being screwed over at every turn.

GJC can advise..but u are the one who is going to go through with it....so u have to be comfortable with what you are bringing to the table....don't trust lawyers too much....that's my personal stand now....

8 hrs over 3 days....well....it depends on what do u intend to do over that 8 hrs....I feel u might want to look at having access over 2 days....u have to travel to the ex..pick up ur son...spend ur time with him and bring him back....minus off the travel time and all....might be worthwhile looking at lesser times but more hours each time(include nap)....

Ur counsellor can suggest...U can counter-propose to the judge.

Last edited:

mirage

Hi
May I know which law firm you use @ Voltra

voltra

Administrator
Staff member
Hi
May I know which law firm you use @ Voltra
I actually consulted a couple of lawyers. One was from HOH, i paid for 30min of their time and asked all the questions. The other I can't remember, its near Textile centre.

Cost was about $200 per consultation. I went for about 3 iirc.

I found the HOH one quite knowledgeable, but very rushed and unfriendly. Like always got a frown on the face. Maybe too stressed haha

But the other one at textile centre they assigned a new lawyer to me, friendly but not much experience.

In the end after I reviewed the terms with the HOH one and found it reasonable, I proceed to sign the papers with the one that my ex engaged. Optimus chambers. I didnt even meet that lawyer at all. The admin just let me sign and I left in 5 min.

jasonsim

I had a very good outcome with Ms Gloria who is very experienced. Sometimes when the issues are complicated you need expertise.