Introduce yourself here!

Foreigner in Singapore, just filed a few weeks ago. Things have turned very ugly - she doesn't let me see my son more than 4 hours a week. She's seeking full custody. I suspect she met someone else but have no proof.
How old is your son?

KenaWC

Foreigner in Singapore, just filed a few weeks ago. Things have turned very ugly - she doesn't let me see my son more than 4 hours a week. She's seeking full custody. I suspect she met someone else but have no proof.
You need PI? What lead to the divorce filing?

Ayataka

Is your wife a Singaporean or foreigner?

vemod

My wife is a foreigner too. She's Chinese and I'm European.

I don't know if PI would matter at this point as we've already separated. How much do they charge?

What caused us to separate was recurring arguments. Hardly any intimacy and and a passive aggressive attitude. She suggested it, and I agreed, thinking it was in the best interest of my child to avoid exposing him to conflict. But since I moved out she's restricting access and doesn't reply to msgs. My son is 2.5.

I don't know if PI would matter at this point as we've already separated. How much do they charge?

What caused us to separate was recurring arguments. Hardly any intimacy and and a passive aggressive attitude. She suggested it, and I agreed, thinking it was in the best interest of my child to avoid exposing him to conflict. But since I moved out she's restricting access and doesn't reply to msgs. My son is 2.5.
It doesn't look good for you....young child usually goes to the mother by default...the most u can do is to fight for access....but since she is foreigner....there may not be anything to stop her from taking your child out of SG's jurisdiction.

Talk to a lawyer ASAP and see what are your options.

As for PI....u need to think about why u want to engage one....at the end of the day even if u find out that she is cheating...it's just a reason to put as the reason for divorce...it doesn't affect the alimony, maintenance, custody,care and control and division of matrimonial assets.

tomtom

Agree that the PI may not be necessary, if divorce is going to happen anyway.

Foreigners divorce seems to be a little tricky in Singapore. For it to be granted in Singapore, several conditions has to be established first, like one of the parties has to have a strong connection to Singapore among others. Do a search for foreigners divorce in Singapore and you can find many links for that. But I guess both of you should be quite rooted here to have a house and a child here.

Regarding the ex-wife "abducting" the child overseas, if the country she goes to acceded to the Hague Convention, there can be some recourse for you. You can seek help from the Hague Convention to get your child back if he was taken without your consent out of the country.

But if both of you are going to continue staying here, best to work out the access timing with your ex. If that cannot be agreed on, then you will have to go to court and let the court decide and both of you adhere to it. Thats for the divorce process though.

Not sure if separation status is able to dictate such terms, anyone who has gone through separation before can shed some light on how access time works?

vemod

Thanks all of you. Aware of the Hague Convention and the status of foreigners in the legal system. The situation is tricky but it's worth fighting for my son. From what I understand we should be able to file in a Singaporean court. We both plan to stay here and both have PR. I've got a good lawyer, so just hoping for the best now.

riverboat

Hi I am new here. Just divorced recently and all is final. Got a little girl. All under my care, and has always been. Ex always busy at work and ambitious. Getting a bit tired balancing work myself and holding the ship together. Hope to get support from fellow forum people and also give support to others in similar circumstances. Wishing all the best to everyone out here.

voltra

Administrator
Staff member
Hi I am new here. Just divorced recently and all is final. Got a little girl. All under my care, and has always been. Ex always busy at work and ambitious. Getting a bit tired balancing work myself and holding the ship together. Hope to get support from fellow forum people and also give support to others in similar circumstances. Wishing all the best to everyone out here.
Welcome. You managed to get full custody? Or joint with care and control?

rainbow1234

Hi all , I new here .

Currently I suspect my husband having affair outside , and I do get a PI to help me . But we are too late to get the check in video and we only have the part they check out from hotel . And PI think still not a best result on it .

I would like to know if really i get hold of the adultery proof can I straight divorce without waiting for 3 year separation ?

how long will it take ?

I do understand if sue him adultery cant stay together 6 mth from the date of file , can the lawyer get him to move .

Hope that some one have similar case with me and can advise me too .

Lose rainbow

Newlife73

Hi all , I new here .

Currently I suspect my husband having affair outside , and I do get a PI to help me . But we are too late to get the check in video and we only have the part they check out from hotel . And PI think still not a best result on it .

I would like to know if really i get hold of the adultery proof can I straight divorce without waiting for 3 year separation ?

how long will it take ?

I do understand if sue him adultery cant stay together 6 mth from the date of file , can the lawyer get him to move .

Lose rainbow
Hi,

Sorry to hear your situation but i came across an article that says it is very hard to proof adultery in singapore.

At the most you can file using unreasonable behaviour e.g. having very close relationship with opposite sex. You probably wana read the below for reference. Alot of law firms provide first free consultation, you might want to prepare your questions before you go.

Hi all , I new here .

how long will it take ?

Lose rainbow
Lawyer cannot make him do anything his rights allow him to...like for example...if u both stay in a HDB flat(joint tenancy)....the lawyer cannot make him move out just because u are filing for divorce.

I could be wrong but even for those with tenancy-in-common....also cannot ask him to move out as long as his name is there.

Faded

Hi

Husband has issued writ of divorce on me last week.
Yet to collect.
He's rushing me to end this marriage.
He claimed no third party involved, just that he can't live his life with me anymore.
Don't ask me get a PI. I'm tired and jaded

I just want him to agree on me taking 60% of our current flat. Which he wanted 50/50.

I was told getting alimony is not possible because I'm working. But he's earning much higher

We have no kids. Only a dog

Last edited: